Monday, December 3, 2012

Catching up to myself

Well, it has been awhile since I posted anything on here. That's largely my own fault, sorry to say. It's been a hectic few months.

I went to the New York Comic Con, and as ever, had a great time. Of course, I didn't simply have fun. Though a lot of fun was certainly had that day as well. The con was also a chance for me to try to meet some fellow writers, which I did. I don't think words can describe how many people were even at the con proper. Had to be at least ten thousand convention, and so many writers and their publishers were present at the event. To this day, part of me is surprised at the fact that publishers like Del Ray, Tor, Random House, and Quirk Books and so many others show up at this event. Another part of me wonders why that surprises me, because some of those companies have manga and other graphic novel imprints or else have books out that are right up the alley of the conventioneers. Del Ray has been the publisher for Star Wars for the last few years (and might still be despite Lucas selling his company and all the IPs attached to Disney. Time will tell on  that matter. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear Disney Hyperion getting the publishing rights once whatever contract Del Ray has with Lucasfilm expires.)

One of my favorite parts of the convention was meeting Jim Dunn and Sam Ernst, the creators of Haven, the Syfy channel show based on Stephen King's story The Colorado Kid. I was actually very lucky in that regard, as there was a bit of confusion as to whether or not anyone from the cast and crew would be signing autographs at the event. It turned out it was only Jim and Sam, but that was more than enough for me. The two of them were very open with their time and could not have been more gracious even if they tried, I think. If you ever talk to them about the show, I think you'll find them very keen to hear from fans about it. Given that they donate their time to conventions when possible, I'd say it's almost a given. While I don't recommend swarming the guys, I do recommend trying to get a few minutes to talk with them if they're at a con and open to the fans.  They gave me the impression that they enjoy the chance to talk to the fans, because it gives them a chance to hear what fans think of the show and respond to those thoughts directly. You don't see many creators who either get the chance to do so, or want to make the time to do so. This was, so near as I can tell, their second appearance at the convention. That says a lot that they not only make the time for shows like this for panels, but then make extra time to sign items at the booth for the company that produces Haven.

Well, I didn't get as much business done as I would have liked at the con, but I did meet some new friends and found out how much I keep paying as a simple attendee instead of registering as a professional since I did put out a book  back in 2006. Something to remember this coming year for the 2013 show.

On the subject of books, I'm working on a new series, in addition to working on an old project t hat I've been working on since late '05-early '06. The first book is done, and now I'm just hoping to get an agent for that book while I work on the second book in the set. I finally got an agent's interest. Only time will tell if they want to represent the book though. Keep your fingers crossed!

Hmmm. I think that's all I have for tonight. Later all!

No comments:

Post a Comment